Sonia and Ann are both qualified Spiritual Directors
Would you like someone to walk with you as you grow as a Christian, share your journey, help you to listen to God? However new or experienced you are as a Christian, if your answer is yes then spiritual direction could offer you the accompaniment you need.
In practical terms I have training from Southwark diocese and the diocese of Europe; I have satisfied Diocese of Europe safeguarding regulations. I have a supervisor and follow a regular pattern of training and retreats. I do not charge, but there are expenses for me with the above so my church will receive donations on my behalf. All sessions are totally confidential unless something of a criminal or dangerous nature is revealed. Now for the more interesting question, what do I offer? I do not follow a particular school of spiritual direction, but seek to be God-lead, intuitive and relationship based. It is entirely non-judgemental, you may come with any level or form of belief. Examples from the Bible that inspire me are Eli helping Samuel to hear and respond to God 1 samuel ch 3; Philip and the Ethiopian Acts ch 8 vv26-39. One of the most common modern analogies of spiritual direction that I like is to midwifery. In spiritual direction I am not a doctor, taking charge of your soul, but more akin to a midwife, helping the growth of the God within you.
What is Spiritual Direction?
Spiritual direction, or accompaniment, provides you with a space to become aware, reflect, discern and discover God more fully. I work with whatever is happening in your life. This often includes exploring your daily life, work, prayer and/or relationships.
A spiritual director is a companion who can help a person see God’s presence in all of life: in the various questions, crises, careers, relationships, fears, insecurities, joys and grief through the different stages of life.
Is spiritual direction/companionship/accompaniment for me?
- Are you at a major crossroads or milestone in your life? Are you trying to make an important decision?
- Do you want to explore deeper meaning in everyday life events?
- Do you have a desire to explore your faith, beliefs and/or different prayer practices?
- Are you seeking greater spiritual awareness?
- Would you like to explore life’s challenges, losses and disappointments in your life?
- Do you want to identify and consciously design your own spiritual path?
- Are you seeking balance, purpose and deeper intimacy with God, yourself and others?
If your answer to any of these questions is ‘yes’, spiritual direction/companionship could be for you.